As with any other type of job, modelling requires networking and establishing connections with the right people in the industry. That’s why agencies are valuable tools for aspiring models looking to catch a break in the fashion world. When you sign up with them, they can help you improve your look and send you on a go-see, which is the time when designers search for new faces for fashion week or their campaigns.
Before working with a modelling agency, here are some questions you must ask first:
1. Can I see your licences and permits?
All businesses should have a licence to prove that they are operating under the supervision of the government. There are also some countries and states that require these establishments to acquire a talent agency licence, which they can get from the department of labour or employment in the local vicinity.
These documents are necessary for legal operations. A legitimate organization will have no problems or hesitations in allowing you to see their licences and permits. Be wary of shady agencies that avoid talking about these files since they may only run off with your money before you even land a job.
2. Are there fees I need to pay before joining your agency?
Most top modelling agencies will only take a cut of your pay after you’ve done the job. Once you’ve completed a photo shoot, they would get a portion of your salary as a finder’s fee. This type of business works on a commission basis since it wouldn’t make sense to ask you for fees before you are hired.
Typically, agencies can deduct between 10 and 20 percent from your earnings. Be cautious of representatives asking you to pay a signup fee or join their modelling classes as soon as possible because it still does not guarantee your employment.
3. Who are your clients?
Knowing the clientele that the agency is catering to will give you a general idea of the markets they cover. Some specialize in glamour-type modelling while others are better at booking jobs for commercial or editorial models. With this, you also need to know your strengths and weaknesses because you shouldn’t sign in with an organization that focuses on high-fashion if you perform well as a commercial model.
These are some of the different types of modelling:
● Fashion or Editorial – This is high-fashion modelling that is often featured in renowned magazines such as Vogue and Elle. Models in this category are between 5 feet, 9 inches and 6 feet tall with body measurements of 33 inches around the bust, 23 inches on the waist, and 33 inches on the hips.
● Runway – Models for this type are a minimum of 5 feet, 9 inches tall. They must have measurements that do not exceed 34 inches around the bust, 23 inches on the waist, and 34 inches on the hips so that they can fit easily into the clothes they will promote on the catwalk.
● Commercial – It is the most flexible category because people of different ages, sizes, and height can become a model in this field. Those who do commercial modelling generally advertise products and services for all industries including food, travel, appliances, and tech. When applying for this job, you should choose the perfect dress for your body shape to highlight your assets.
● Swimsuit – Models in this category must have more curves and are more voluptuous than those who do editorial. Aside from bikinis, you should be comfortable wearing only lingerie, undergarments, sleepwear, and summer wear.
● Glamour – This is also ideal for curvy girls. Pin up girls and Playboy bunnies are referred to as glamour models. Their photos are characterized with more suggestive and enticing poses that are opposite to the ones that are done by a fashion model.
● Fitness – Most fitness models began their careers as trainers or athletes. They are fit and toned with well-defined muscles. They can work for companies that produce athletic wear and health supplements.
4. How many models do you currently employ?
While you should look for the best modelling agency, going for a larger company does not always mean you land a job after each go-see. Sometimes, it’s better to go for boutique agencies or the ones that have fewer models. A more prominent agency may have more clients, but it is highly likely that there’s intense competition between the models.
If you’re starting in the industry, it’s best to go with a group that has lesser employees so they can give your career the attention it deserves.
Finding the right agency that can help you achieve your goals is necessary to succeed in the extremely competitive world of fashion. Get ready for the job with a set of gorgeous photos in your portfolio and diligently research on the company you want to join. Prepare yourself for rejections, but remember to take note of what clients say so you can improve on your weaknesses and rise to the top.
On November 12, 2018 the FIAF hosted their annual Trophee des Arts Gala at The Plaza Hotel to raise vital funds to support the organization’s innovative programs, which explore the evolving diversity and richness of French cultures through education and the arts.
Photos by: Brandonlee Eccleston @uncommon.lee
Photos by: Brandonlee Eccleston @uncommon.lee
FIAF is the country’s leading French language and cultural center. Founded in 1898 by American Francophiles, FIAF is an American not for profit organization incorporated in the state of New York and is not an agency of the French governments. Located in the heart of NYC, the French Institute Alliance Franciase (FIAF) offers unique insight into French culture.
This year, FIAF honored Jane Fonda, an iconic American actress with the Trophee des Arts award and Sebastien Bazin, Chairman & CEO of AccorHotels with the Pilier d’Or award.
Photos by: Brandonlee Eccleston @uncommon.lee
The evening started with a packed cocktail reception filled with well dressed attendees from New York’s social scene. Items for the silent auction surrounded the room; including a Moynat, Celine, Givenchy and Fendi handbags. After guests mingled for about an hour at the standing room only reception, everyone made their way upstairs to the ballroom.
Marie-Monique Steckel, President of the French Insitute Alliance Française (FIAF), welcomed everyone to the gala and thanked us for supporting the organization. She then informed us of the passing of Bob Wilmers, a longtime Board Member and Chairman for the last five years in December 2017. The new Chairman, Charles S. Cohen, has nurtured a lifelong passion for France and its culture and is an exciting addition to the team.
The first award presentation of the evening went to Sebastian Bazin, Chairman & CEO of AccorHotels. He spoke about his journey in the hospitality business and about his passion for transforming the lives of his employees and their families by providing stable employment.
Next, we experienced a very exciting live auction. The auctioneer not only raised over $100,000 during the live auction and over $127,000 for pledges, he was able to get a few laughs from the crowd with his entertaining personality. The live auction item garnering the highest bid was the 2017 art piece, Monkey Train, by Jeff Koons going for $45,000. And to top it off, Jeff Koons was in attendance and agreed to take a selfie with the person who won the bid.
After the live auction, a video of a few popular movie scenes with Jane Fonda was played to entertain the crowd. After, she was introduced and presented with the Trophee des Arts Awards for her track record of philanthropy, political activism and feminism. As she walked onstage, the audience gave her a standing ovation. She graciously accepted her award as she captivated the crowd with her beauty and wit. It was the perfect round up of a wonderful evening filled with charity, glamour and culture!
When people shop for dresses, it usually depends on the style and the price. If a dress has a style suited for their preference and is within their price point, people would immediately purchase the dress. However, these two shouldn’t be your only factors when purchasing a dress. In fact, your choices should also be dependent on your body shape. Keep in mind that everybody is unique and a dress that looks good on your friends, might work on you or vice versa. To ensure that your dress will only bring out the best of you, consider these tips in choosing the perfect dress for your body shape:
1. If you have a circular body type: One of the most obvious characteristics of a circular body type is having the tendency to gain weight particularly in your middle section. This can make you become more conscious in your tummy area. Additionally, a circular body type tends to have narrow ankles and wrists and a higher waist. If you think your body falls into this category, take note of the following style tips:
● Your goal when choosing a dress is to highlight your ankles and wrists as these could be two of your best features.
● Opt to purchase dresses with ruching in the torso area as these are not only very comfortable but these can also flatter the definition of your figure.
● An empire waist dress without the pleats can float over your tummy area (hiding your insecurities) and define the narrowest part of your torso.
● Since you want to show off your shapely legs, look for short dresses.
● A dress which has a round or V-shaped neckline will look good on you.
● You can also wear dresses which are sleeveless to draw attention to your arms.
● An A-line dress, straight dress, shirt dress, and wrap dress are excellent options for your body type.
2. If you have an hourglass body figure: Many people consider an hourglass figure as the “perfect” body figure for women. Similar to how an hourglass looks like, this body figure has the ratio of wide:narrow:wide – wider bust, narrow waist and wide hip. Take your tape measure and check if your body measurements can be considered as an hourglass figure. If it does, the tips below can be helpful for you:
● When you have an hourglass body figure, your dresses should emphasize the waist and the chest since these two are your best features.
● You can wear any dress which has either a V-shaped or round neckline.
● For the sleeves, look for Raglan sleeves in different lengths. These will accentuate the upper portions of your body.
● As for the length, dresses which are to the middle of your knees work best on you.
● An A-line dress, baby doll dress, tube dress and sheath dress will look good with an hourglass body figure.
3. If you have an upturned triangle body type: An upturned triangle body type has hips that are narrower than your shoulders. The main defining feature of your body type is the different proportions of your hips and shoulders. Your waist can also be a bit straighter when you have an upturned triangle body type. Most of the time, people with this body type has well-endowed body proportions. An upturned triangle body type will find these tips useful when looking for a perfect dress for them:
● When you have this body type, your goal should be about bringing attention to your hips while reducing the size of your upper body.
● Keeping your dress slim in the hip area can also do wonders for you as this can create definition and curve, creating visual balance in your shape.
● You can still wear clothing details such as patterns and ruffles as long as it’s not placed in the shoulder area.
● A dress which has an asymmetric or V-shaped neckline are excellent options for your dress styles.
● Your dress should have a narrow and simple sleeve. Again, you don’t want to draw attention to your shoulder area.
● Dresses which are knee length or higher will look good in this body type.
● Shop for straight dresses, bodycon dresses, basque dresses, shirt dresses and wrap dresses if you have an upturned triangle body type. These styles will highlight your hips.
4. If you have a triangle body type: People who have a triangle body shape may consider the upper part of their body as their favorite. Their shoulders are usually narrower than the widest part of their hips. And since people with this body type usually gain weight in the hip area, they can become self-conscious of their hips and their bottom. If you see yourself guilty in any of these, you might have a triangle body type. Use the tips below when choosing the perfect dress apt for your body type:
● With this body type, you would want to bring attention to your upper body especially areas around the waist and the shoulders.
● You can wear anything that’s fitted in the waist area.
● Design elements like pockets and patterns should be in different areas of the dress other than the hips.
● Open shoulders, boat-shaped and round neckline will work best with this body type.
● As for the sleeves, look for dresses which are voluminous. These are sleeves which are wing-shaped.
● Your dress length should reach the knees or even lower.
● A dress with a raised waist, an A-line dress, baby doll dress and shirt dress are some of the most suitable styles for a triangle body shape.
Uniqueness Is Beautiful
Your body type might not be the same as your favorite celebrity’s, but there are many ways on how you can still look good in a dress. Start by determining what your body type is, and the search for finding the perfect dress will come off easier! You can look good and feel great once you end up buying the perfect dress for your body type. And regardless of the body type you have, you can surely find dresses from Ezibuy that will suit your needs, style, body shape and budget.
Your friends influenced you to wear hats. They told you that this is an excellent fashion piece and regardless of what occasion you’re dressing up for, there’ll always be a hat which suits. And true enough, you were able to develop your love for hats because of these comments. Now, no matter where you go, you always have a hat on. You’ve embraced this fashion statement and you can’t leave home without one. Because of this fascination, you’re looking for new hats to wear. You think that these pieces can be a very good addition to your collection and to any outfits. To help you out with your search, here’s a list which highlights the best designer hats and their makers:
Bailey: This brand has been established as 1922 and since then, it continued to cater to different consumers, including some in Hollywood. Fred Astaire and Humphrey Bogart were fans of this brand! Who wouldn’t? Bailey has continued to consistently produce high quality hats up until this day. Its reputation and quality never changed throughout the years; in fact, it only became better. This brand has been made known because of its craftsmanship which specializes in gentlemanly styles. If you’re looking for a well-known designer who can offer you fedoras and felt trilbies, Bailey is the brand for you!
Goorin: Goorin is a family-owned business which originally started in the US. But with the success this brand has been getting, it became a household name over time. This has become an international brand and for very good reasons too – Goorin has a slick line of products which can satisfy any hat-lover across the globe, both for men and women. And if you want to own (or at least see in person) the porkie pie hat used in Breaking Bad, Goorin can do the job for you. This is the brand which made that iconic hat!
Christys’ Of London: One thing that makes Christys’ Of London unique among other brands in the market is that they offer a wide variety of designs. They sell military headwear and even headpieces for the royal families! Because of its craftsmanship and traditional skills, they continue to make a name in the fashion industry. So if you’re eyeing to buy anything from Christys’ Of London, you’ll be at ease knowing that you’re working with a great brand.
New Era: Snapbacks have been making the waves again – thanks to New Era! This brand has contributed for this fashion piece’s comeback. And although New Era has continually given consumers innovative hat designs fit for any generation, this brand actually started doing business as early as 1920. Since then, it became the exclusive distributor of on-field caps that’s worn by major league baseball teams.
Lock & Co. Hatters: This British brand infuses history and tradition in all of their designs. This brand has been producing the finest hats around the world as early 1900s. It’s the brand that produced headwear for Sir Winston Churchill and Charlie Chaplin! Lock & Co. Hatters continues to be the oldest hat shop in the world. And they wouldn’t be existing this long if their hats aren’t the best, right?
Past Present: Who says historic designs are stuffy and boring? When you use hats from Past Present, it’ll never feel like that! On the contrary, when you purchase hats from Past Present, you’ll be wearing pieces drawn from history while giving you comfort and softness at the same time. All of the collections from Past Present infuses history and modern style in a very creative manner.
Borsalino: If you’re someone who’s on the lookout of what’s hot in fashion, you must have heard about Borsalino. This brand was established in 1857 and has built its foundation to become one of world’s renowned brand when it comes to head pieces. Borsalino specializes in fedora hats but they also produce luxury flat caps.
Barbour: Unlike other brands in the market, Barbour offers hats which captures the countryside feel – perfect for someone who’s trying to highlight their British heritage! This brand also sells beanies and bucket hats which are crafted with the brand’s signature of waxed cotton and tweeds. All of these details create an authentic feel to anyone who wears it. If this style is up your alley, make sure that you shop from Barbour immediately!
Tenth Street: Founded in 1921, Tenth Streetcame from humble beginnings and transformed into the high quality hat making company it is today. Their style is making hats that not only blend a vintage feel with today’s modern times, but it also run by a close knit family. Making many different types of hats from Biltmore, Stacy Adams, to Scala hats, you’ll find something that is sure to please.
In Conclusion: Everyone wants to be unique with their fashion choices. Everyone wants to stand out from the crowd – and if you’re doing all of these with the use of a hat, like scala hats go ahead.. Just make sure that any hat you wear will make you confident and comfortable all the time. Remember, you should be wearing something which will make you shine, not do the complete opposite. If you want to give your fashion choices an overhaul with hats, consider the list provided in this article. It’ll give you an idea on what to purchase next for your hat collection!
You always love fashion. You want to be updated with the latest fashion trends and when you see a new fashion piece from your favorite designer brand, you immediately add these items in your closet. Your friends also know how you have a knack for fashion. However, you’re worried that you can no longer be as fashionable because you just got tattoos on different parts of your body. You fear that all of these inks will hinder you from looking your best. But nobody said that tattoos and fashion never complement each other; on the contrary, they do. Even if you have tattoos, you can still be very fashionable just like before. To give you an idea on how you can do it, use the tips presented below:
Consider the colors: This is a simple trick you can do so both your tattoos and fashion choices will look great together. If you have colorful and vibrant tattoos, pair them up with neutrals. Watercolor tattoos have become a fad recently and if you’re considering getting one, The Black Hat Tattoo can get the job done for you. If you have black and grey tattoos, you can wear colors to bring out the designs. Go ahead and wear your favorite pink dress or yellow romper! One rule of thumb when matching your tattoo and fashion though, is never wear anything that will clash with each other. This isn’t a very flattering look.
Consider the theme: The theme is also something which you should think about when you’re choosing pieces to match with your tattoos. This might look like a small detail but this can make a big impact for you to come up with a cohesive look. If you have Japanese style tattoos, you can wear Asian inspired fashion. You know, those fashion pieces which are silky and flowy. On the other hand, if you have traditional tattoos like skull and mandala prints, it can look great when you pair these with modern shirts and jeans. Watercolor tattoos work well with pieces which have the same color as your tattoo. So if you have tattoos of pink and blue birds, pick fashion pieces which have the similar hues.
Consider the location: Where your tattoos are inked on your body is also very crucial. You should choose hemlines, necklines sleeves based on the tattoos you want to show off. For instance, if you have a full sleeve tattoo, opt to wear a sleeveless top. When you have a chest tattoo, go for a strapless top. Regardless of where your tattoo is, there are many pieces available in the market which can help you show it off.
In Conclusion: Nowadays, more and more people are getting tattoos all over their bodies. Tattoos are no longer taboo but an avenue for self-expression and art. And if you’re one of these people, your tattoo shouldn’t be the reason for you not to dress well at all. On the contrary, your tattoos can even help you accentuate better your fashion choices.